Would you like to work for a multi-award-winning, well-established practice?
We are looking for a full- and a part-time Small Animal Vet to join our friendly, professional clinical team. Both positions can be considered with or without on-call.
Salary is negotiable and commensurate with experience. To give you an idea of our current pay scales: a one-year qualified Vet will be paid £36,700; a Vet who has been qualified for 6 years will be on £51,100.
- We are a well-established practice giving great job security.
- We recognise we all spend a lot of time at work, and we want our employees to be happy at work and enjoy a great work-life balance.
- We are happy to discuss the hours you work around your needs.
- We have a team of RVNs working 24/7 at Colne, which is extremely beneficial to the Vets who do on-call, and greatly enhances in-patient care.
- Up to 40 days holiday a year, with a holiday buy back scheme, too, for those who love to travel.
- Stanley House was Pendle’s employer of the year 2016-2017 and runner up for 2018-2019.
- We have been highly commended in the SPVS wellbeing awards, twice.
- Our main site has undergone extensive refurbishments; you can enjoy using our state-of-the-art equipment in beautiful surroundings.
- You would enjoy excellent support and back-up from our well-established clinical team.
- We have 15-minute appointments.
- We have team meetings so all our employees can contribute to the success of our practice and ensure everyone is listened to.
- For more recently qualified Vets, we have reflective meetings that give Vets a great environment to develop and grow.
- We offer a generous CPD allowance of £1,750 per annum, and certificates are encouraged with a higher CPD budget given.
- We have a new graduate development programme.
- Our main site is cat friendly.
- We are RCVS Accredited and a Nurse training centre.
- We have several apartments available, all within walking distance of our surgeries.
- We are a friendly bunch who love to socialise.
- The rota is 1.5 in 8 – we offer generous time off given for on-call.
- Health Shield cash plan
- You will have access to an Employee Assistance Programme
- You can join our corporate gym membership for only £22.50 a month https://www.pendleleisuretrust.co.uk/membership/activo/
- Pets are treated at cost (within reason).
You are more than welcome to speak to one of our Vets to see what life is like at Stanley House.
About Stanley House
Stanley House Veterinary Group was established in 1911 at our current site in Colne, Lancashire.
We are part of the VetPartners group.
We are a first opinion practice, running our Farm and Equine Department and Companion Animal Department totally separately. The practice has 3 Clinical Directors, and we have 80 employees.
We have 3 Companion Animal surgeries in Colne, Barnoldswick, and Burnley. You will only work between 2 surgeries to help maintain case continuity. Sole charge will be required.
You will enjoy the support of a well-experienced team of excellent and dedicated Vets, nurses, and receptionists.
Our facilities allow for good case work up and include a state-of-the-art DR digital x-ray machine with cloud-based image storage, ECG, flexible endoscope, ultrasound scanner, tonometer, infusion pumps, and a well-equipped lab including an electrolyte analyser.
Out-of-Hours and On-Call Vets
Our loyal clients really appreciate our in-house out-of-hours service. We understand how this can impact on Vets and do ensure on-call is kept to a minimum, and that Vets have the following 24 hours off after being on-call. There is accommodation on-site for Vets to use, if preferred.
To further improve overnight care and provide major support to our Vets, we have a team of RVNs who work through the night. This makes being on-call a lot less arduous for the on-call Vet, and greatly improves in-patient care.
Providing in-house OOH care not only gives our clients a better service, but also increases case exposure to our Vets. Thus, allowing them to build experience and confidence in dealing with emergency and critical care patients.
Our weekend OOH rota is approximately 1.5 in 8, with generous time off in-lieu given.
On-call Friday / Work Saturday morning only / Sunday on-call
(Monday & Tuesday off in-lieu)
(With a Friday off in-lieu).
Followed by 6 Weekends Off.
In addition, you would be on-call approximately one night every other week, with the following day off. The rota is on a continuous 8-week cycle, allowing you to plan your life ahead. We have an OOH telephone answering service, so you will not be taking calls directly. Recent graduates will be given Veterinary back-up OOH. There is CCTV, so you can remotely keep an eye on in-patients.
Full-time Vets involved in the out-of-hours service do work a variation of 3-4- and 5-day weeks throughout the 8-week rolling rota. If you are a full-time Vet doing on-call, you will only have two 5-day weeks in every 8 weeks. However, many of our Vets choose to have extra days off. We are very open to suggestions and happy to discuss what hours may suit you.
In 2019, we were very proud that our amazing Head Nurse, Kira, was awarded the exemplary VN educator of the year.
In 2019, we were absolutely delighted to win an award at the BVHA design awards.
We are very honoured to have won the 2016- 2017 Pendle Employer of the Year in our local business awards for investing in our employees and providing a supportive work environment. In 2018, we were very pleased to be the runner-up selected from many applications.
We have also been highly commended in the SPVS Wellbeing awards, twice.
About Our Team
We worked with the BVA in the summer of 2016 filming for Veterinary view – Watch our short films to meet the team.
We have a friendly and supportive team. As a practice, we do take part in several social events. Over the last few years, we have taken part in the annual charity Pendle Pub Walk covering 13 miles and visiting a few pubs for refreshments on the way! Many of our employees enjoy taking part in activities, often raising money for various charities, including:
Yorkshire Three Peaks
Yorkshire Tough Mudder
The Major Series
Guide Dog challenge
50-mile Mega Hike
We have taken part in a short film about Euthanasia, which is currently touring various film festivals. Here is the trailer.
About the Area
We do think it’s important to help employees, especially someone new to the area, find a good work-life balance, and Pendle offers a wide variety of leisure activities.
For walking and hiking enthusiasts, we are situated in the north east of Lancashire. Nestled between the Ribble Valley and the Pennine Way, Pendle is a largely rural area dominated by the iconic Pendle Hill. The Forest of Bowland, an area of outstanding natural beauty, is on our doorstep and the Yorkshire Dales, Lake District, and Bronte Country are all within easy reach.
We have two golf courses in Pendle, and a sailing club on Burwains reservoir.
The area is home to cycling Olympian and world champion Steven Burke MBE, and for the cycling enthusiast there is a cycling club that meets regularly at the Steven Burke closed road cycle circuit. There’s also the annual Colne Grand Prix cycle race. For the more extreme off-road biking, there are plenty of trails at Gisburne Forest, approximately 8 miles away from Colne.
The area (currently!!!) boasts a premier league football team!
Our corporate gym membership gives access to 4 gyms, plus you can also use a further 13 leisure centres throughout East Lancashire, including fun pools, and you can receive discounts on spa treatments.
For people who enjoy the city life, the vibrant cities of Manchester, Liverpool, and Leeds are within easy reach by road or public transport, and offer excellent shopping and night life.
We also have fantastic access to the motorway network, railways, and major airports.
Find out more at www.visitpendle.com
To apply, please contact Liz and fill out the Application Form below, or click ‘Apply Now’ at the top right of this listing.